2012 Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner I’ll Have Another has drawn post position 11 and has been installed as the odds on 4/5 morning line favorite in his attempt on becoming Horse Racing’s 12th Triple Crown winner in Saturday’s 2012 Belmont Stakes at Belmont Park in New York.
The chestnut colt by Flower Alley will face 11 other rivals, which would be the most ever defeated by a horse in a Triple Crown bid. (Citation, in 1948, and Seattle Slew, in 1977, each defeated seven rivals in the Belmont.)
Among the notable eleven include Dullahan, coming off a fast closing third in the Kentucky Derby, drew post 5 and was made the 5-1 second choice on the morning line.
Union Rags, who for the most part has had a disappointing 2012 campaign, drew post 3 and is the third choice at 6-1 on the morning line. John Velazquez picks up the mount on the Michael Matz trainee.
Speedster Paynter is the fourth betting choice at 8-1 and drew the 9 post position for Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert.
The field for the Belmont Stakes, trainer, jockey, and morning line odds:
1. Street Life – Chad Brown; Jose Lezcano 12-1
2. Unstoppable U – Ken McPeek; Junior Alvarado 30-1
3. Union Rags– Michael Matz; John Velazquez 6-1
4. Atigun – Ken McPeek; Julien Leparoux 30-1
5. Dullahan – Dale Romans; Javier Castellano 5-1
6. Ravelo’s Boy – Manuel Azpurua; Alex Solis 50-1
7. Five Sixteen – Dominick Schettino; Rosie Napravnik 50-1
8. Guyana Star Dweej – Doodnauth Shivmangal; Kent Desormeaux 50-1
9. Paynter – Bob Baffert; Mike Smith 8-1
10. Optimizer – D. Wayne Lukas; Corey Nakatani 20-1
11. I’ll Have Another – Doug O’Neill; Mario Gutierrez 4-5
12. My Adonis – Kelly Breen; Ramon Dominguez 20-1