One week until the second season for head coach Larry Fedora kicks off as the head man for UNC Football. And what a way to do so, on a Thursday, with most of the college football world watching you, on ESPN, against a Top 10 opponent from the best football conference. The rivalry that should be, at least for this year, will be played. North Carolina versus South Carolina, the ACC vs the SEC, the Heels against Steve Spurrier.
With all those television networks making “reality shows”, sports gives us the ultimate reality on the tube. There is nothing more real than watching a live sporting event unfold between two adversaries.
The thrill of a good play, the agony of a bad one. In those games, when the score is so close, coming down to the last drive, the last play, when the last thing to die is really just hope. When you are on the edge of your seat watching the ball going from the QB’s hand into the receiver’s… or not. When your significant other knows that it is not the time to talk about the last bar b q of the season or lil cousin Johnny’s birthday or anything else for that matter. In those moments is when you know that you are watching “reality television”. And you are doing it for the good or the bad, all depending on who wins the game.
And so, in a week, how many small stories will we find beside the game itself?
- Can the new UNC offensive line, which is still working on finding its right tackle, hold off the beast that is Jadeveon Clowney?
- Will Romar Morris be the main running back for the Heels, or will we see a good mix of A.J. Blue in the Fedora offense?
- If North Carolina can not win the game, what would be the next best thing for them?
- How good can Bryn Renner be this season?
- How good (or bad) can the UNC Football team be on defense this year?
Time to give that last kiss to the better half, to hug the kids, call the family and say good bye for a while… cause in a week it’s football time, and that is no joke, that’s a “reality”!